Next Generation Carbon-Free Electricity Procurement Initiative
The clean energy system developed over the past 25 years unlocked significant wind and solar deployment. However, the existing system now faces various challenges in achieving a 90% carbon-free U.S. electricity system by 2030.
Carbon-Free Energy Challenges:
- Uneven wind and solar deployment causing market saturation and clean energy curtailment in some regions
- Limited growth of critical and complementary zero-carbon energy technologies and solutions
- Lack of widespread attribute instruments to match and earn credit for carbon-free energy procurement on less than an annual basis
- Unproven contracting mechanisms for many carbon-free energy solutions that are key to rapid decarbonization of the electricity system
The Clean Energy Buyer Institute’s Next Generation Carbon-Free Electricity Procurement Initiative (NextGen Initiative) will help address these challenges and expand the suite of carbon-free procurement options for energy customers.
The NextGen Initiative will enable energy customers to maximize the decarbonization impact of their procurement decisions by:
- Advocating for accessible, standardized, granular electricity consumption and emissions data.
- Driving the evolution of attribute instruments, greenhouse gas accounting standards, and recognition programs.
In support of its mission to solve the toughest market and policy barriers to achieve a carbon-free energy system, the Clean Energy Buyers Institute (CEBI) has created a clearinghouse of resources for organizations interested in the advancement of clean energy.
Next-Gen News & Updates
September 1, 2022
With Targeted Updates, the Greenhouse Gas Protocol Can Accelerate Customer-driven Clean Energy and Unleash Next Generation Procurement
August 19, 2022
Energy Attribute Certificate Issuing Bodies & Registries Need Clearance and Practical Tools to Expedite System Updates that Enable Next Generation Procurement
August 5, 2022
Leadership Programs Can Catalyze New Communities of Energy Customers to Drive Next Generation Procurement for Systemic Grid Decarbonization
July 22, 2022
With Expanded and Accelerated Data Access, Energy Attribute Certificate Issuing Bodies Can Capture New Attributes Needed for Next Generation Procurement
July 15, 2022
With Enhanced Energy Attribute Certificates, Energy Customers Can Use Their Voluntary Procurement to Send More Powerful and Targeted Market Signals for Systemic Grid Decarbonization
June 30, 2022
Energy Attribute Certificate Issuing Bodies Can Unleash Next Generation Procurement by Capturing More Attributes & Better Serving as a “Platform of Platforms”
June 7, 2022
Energy Customers, Solution Providers, and Stakeholders Assess the Role of Avoided Emissions in Decision-Making and Greenhouse Gas Accounting
May 6, 2022
Energy Customers and Solution Providers Identify Key Market Updates to Enable Next Generation Procurement Options
April 8, 2022
Energy Customers Identify Key Objectives for New Solutions to Optimize Decarbonization Impact
NextGen Activator Workshop #1
March 30 at 12:30 PM ET
Hear from ResponsibleSteel and Clean Energy Buyers Institute to learn how to identify and address shared challenges in enhancing emissions data, clean energy attributes, emissions accounting frameworks, and recognition programs.