Next Generation Carbon-Free Electricity Procurement Initiative
The clean energy system developed over the past 25 years unlocked significant wind and solar deployment. However, the existing system now faces various challenges in achieving a 90% carbon-free U.S. electricity system by 2030.
Carbon-Free Energy Challenges:
- Uneven wind and solar deployment causing market saturation and clean energy curtailment in some regions
- Limited growth of critical and complementary zero-carbon energy technologies and solutions
- Lack of widespread attribute instruments to match and earn credit for carbon-free energy procurement on less than an annual basis
- Unproven contracting mechanisms for many carbon-free energy solutions that are key to rapid decarbonization of the electricity system
The Clean Energy Buyer Institute’s Next Generation Carbon-Free Electricity Procurement Initiative (NextGen Initiative) will help address these challenges and expand the suite of carbon-free procurement options for energy customers.
The NextGen Initiative will enable energy customers to maximize the decarbonization impact of their procurement decisions by:
- Advocating for accessible, standardized, granular electricity consumption and emissions data.
- Driving the evolution of attribute instruments, greenhouse gas accounting standards, and recognition programs.
In support of its mission to solve the toughest market and policy barriers to achieve a carbon-free energy system, the Clean Energy Buyers Institute (CEBI) has created a clearinghouse of resources for organizations interested in the advancement of clean energy.
NextGen Activator Workshop #1
March 30 at 12:30 PM ET
Join ResponsibleSteel and Clean Energy Buyers Institute for an oExclusively for energy customers. Learn how to identify and address shared challenges in enhancing emissions data, clean energy attributes, emissions accounting frameworks, and recognition programs.